Reasons to Join Colorado Biology Teachers' Association (CBTA):
1. CBTA Newsletter: This bi-monthly publication contains such items as a message from the President of CBTA, news about CBTA activities, articles on a variety of topics, notices of special awards, and announcements of courses and other programs of interest to biology teachers.
2. Spring Seminar: In late spring, CBTA sponsors a one-day seminar to learn about some topic of current biological interest. Recent topics included "The Hot Zone", a tour of the Butterfly and Insect Pavilion, and "Wildlife Photography" with Perry Conway.
3. Fall Workshop: In some years, a workshop is held in early fall to provide the opportunity to study an area of biological interest in greater detail. Places visited have included Pingree Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Sand Dunes, Colorado National Monument/Grand Mesa, Winter Park/Hot Sulphur Springs and Mt. Evans.
4. Summer Workshop: CBTA occasionally sponsors longer workshops in the summer for teachers to become immersed in the biology of a particular area.
5. Colorado Science Convention: During the fall of each year, CBTA co-sponsors this convention with other state science teacher organizations. Teachers attend workshops, concurrent sessions, hear nationally known speakers and visit displays to learn about what is new in biology and other science areas.
6. Awards: The Outstanding Biology Teacher Award (OBTA) is presented each year to a biology teacher who has shown innovation in the classroom as well as made professional contributions. The awardee is given cash, equipment and funding to attend the National Association of Biology Teachers Convention where they are honored with other awardees at the OBTA Luncheon.
Biology teachers may also nominate their own students for Outstanding Biology Student Awards.
7. Mini-Grants: Members have the opportunity to apply for mini-grants to fund biology classroom innovation.
Membership categories/dues: Annual - $7.50/yr; 3 year - $18.00; Student - $4.00/yr; Retired - $4.00/yr.
To join CBTA, print out the membership application and mail it to the address indicated on the form. This form is in PDF format. You must have Acrobat Reader to view this form. If you need to download this program, click on the button below.
For more information, contact